Are you a Wyoming homeowner who has fallen behind on mortgage payments, utility bills or other housing-related costs? The Wyoming Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) Program focuses on helping Wyoming homeowners, who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 and meet eligibility criteria, stay in their homes.
Memorial Day Holiday Closures
The call centers for both the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) and the Wyoming Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) Program will be closed Monday, May 29 for the Memorial Day Holiday but will reopen on Tuesday, May 30 at 9 AM. For information about the programs, please visit dfs.wyo.gov/ERAP for ERAP or dfs.wyo.gov/HAF for the HAF Program.
COVID-19 Hardship Requirement
Although the impact of COVID-19 is waning, the federal eligibility requirements still require applicants to have experienced a COVID-related financial hardship to be approved for funding. The HAF Program application requires applicants to select financial hardships they or their family members have experienced since Jan. 1, 2020. These include:
- Job loss due to COVID-19 or its impacts
- Job furlough due to COVID-19 or its impacts
- Reduced hours due to COVID-19, resulting in take-home pay
- Increased expenses (hospitalization/medical costs, additional child care costs, etc.) due to COVID
Applicants must then briefly describe the relationship between the selected hardships and the COVID-19 pandemic. For example, an increase in medical expenses has to be tied to COVID-19, not another illness.
- APPLICATIONS: Applications are available only online.
- ELIGIBILITY: The program will be open to Wyoming homeowners who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 and meet eligibility criteria. The applicant’s household shall have a total household income at or below 150% of area median income (AMI).
- AMOUNT: The HAF Program is a grant that allows a one-time award of up to $17,000.
- APPLICATION ASSISTANCE: Please call the HAF Program Call Center at 1-888-996-4237 (WYO-HAFP). The center will be open Monday – Friday from 9 AM – 6 PM MT.
- ELIGIBLE EXPENSES: Eligible expenses include past due payments for mortgage, utilities, property taxes, homeowners insurance, and homeowners association dues, prioritizing mortgage arrears. The HAF Program is now accepting applications for up to three months of consecutive forward mortgage payments. Delinquencies will be prioritized over forward mortgage payments.
- FLYER FOR HAF PROGRAM: If you or someone you know is interested in the HAF Program, please download and share the flyer. Download English version or Spanish version
Watch out for mortgage assistance scams
The Wyoming Department of Family Services cautions households to be wary of potential mortgage scams wanting personal financial information or asking you to pay upfront fees or transfer the deed of your home. The Wyoming Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) doesn’t charge fees for assistance. The majority of official correspondence from the HAF Program will come from NoReplyWYOHAF@wyo.gov (an automated email) or email@example.com. Additionally, the HAF call center uses the number 1-888-996-4237 and returns calls during the hours of 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
According to the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, mortgage loan modification scams are schemes to take your money – often by making a false promise of saving you from foreclosure. The Federal Trade Commission explains that these scammers promise they’ll get changes to your loan so you can keep your home but they want you to pay them an upfront fee before helping you. Don’t pay an upfront fee. It’s illegal for a company to charge you upfront fees for promises to help you get relief on paying your mortgage.
- Federal Trade Commission: Mortgage Relief Scams
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: What are mortgage loan modification scams?
We encourage homeowners and servicers to prepare for the program to open by following the steps listed on these pages.
HAF Program – Application Walkthrough
This video is guide to how to fill out the application. Or download the application walkthrough document (PDF).
Sign up for the HAF Program Updates
If you would like to be notified via email with updates about the HAF Program, please click here.